InstaSearch - Eclipse plug-in for quick code search
InstaSearch is an Eclipse plug-in for performing quick and advanced search of workspace files. It uses Lucene for indexing and fast searching of files in the workspace. The search is performed instantly as you type and resulting files are displayed in an Eclipse view.
Each file then can be previewed using few most matching and relevant lines. A double-click on the match leads to the matching line in the file.
Download / Installation
In Eclipse Helios (3.6) or Indigo (3.7) please install using the
- Eclipse Marketplace from the Help menu
Alternatively you can install using the update site http://code.inf.unibz.it/instasearch/downloads/
Java 1.5 or newer is required
( Add to favorites on Eclipse Marketplace.)
- Instantly shows search results
- Shows a preview using relevant lines
- Periodically updates the index
- Matches partial words (e.g. case in CamelCase)
- Opens and highlights matches in files
- Searches JAR source attachments
- Supports filtering by extension/project/working set
The source is available on GitHub https://github.com/ajermakovics/eclipse-instasearch
Lucene query syntax can be used for searching. This includes:
- Wildcard searches
- Excluding words
- Fuzzy searches to find similar matches
- Limit by location - directory, projects or working set
proj:MyProject,OtherProject application init
ws:MyWorkingSet dir:src init
- Limit by filename, extension or modification time
name:app* ext:java,xml,txt modified:yesterday
- Search by file name initials (e.g. FOS to find FileOutputStream.java)
To exclude some folders from search indexing, mark them as Derived in the folder's properties.
There are also useful Eclipse Search Tips.
Note: Fuzzy search is started automatically if no exact matches are found
If you notice any issues with the plugin or have an idea for an enhancement, please open a new ticket